Notice of Increase of Water & Sewer Rates
The Town of Essex Selectboard has adopted new water and sewer rates and fees for the period following the spring 2020 billing (FYE 2021). There is a 1.1% increase in the water rate and a 1.0% increase in the sewer rate for the following reasons:
- The need to maintain the sewer and water funds on a firm financial basis by setting aside adequate funds for system operation and depreciation.
- The need to meet increased water costs from the Champlain Water District of 3.7% and a 1.9% increase in wastewater treatment costs from the Tri-town Wastewater Treatment Facility.
A complete explanation of the rate changes can be found in the documents on this page or a copy can be mailed to you upon request.
Water Rate & Fees
The municipal water rate and associated fees adopted by the Selectboard are:
- The water rate is increased from $5.56 per 1,000 gallons to $5.62 per 1,000 gallons.
- The water initiation fee is unchanged at $1,000 base fee per connection plus $5.73 per gallon per day of capacity.
- The water minimum charge per year is unchanged at $180 per year.
- All water system users will be billed three (3) times per year starting after the spring 2020 billings.
- An interim or final water bill will be charged $35 effective July 1, 2020.
Sewer Rate & Fees
The municipal sewer rate and associated fees adopted by the Selectboard are:
- The sewer rate is increased from $9.54 per 1,000 gallons to $9.64 per 1,000 gallons.
- The sewer initiation fee is unchanged at $1,000 base fee per connection plus $10.30 per gallon of capacity.
- All sewer system users will be billed three (3) times per year starting after the spring 2020 billings.
Rate Change Implementation & Effects
The rate change is in effect as of the date of rate approval by the Selectboard (May 26,2020) for all connection fees and with usage billings in the billing period following the spring 2020 billings.
The interim billing charges will be effective July 1, 2020. The first Town-wide billing under the new rates will occur in November of 2020. Starting with the November 2020 billing, the billing cycle will go to three (3) times per year with bills sent out in March, July, and November during calendar year 2021.
A single-family residence with both municipal sewer and water using an average of 200 gallons per day can anticipate a total increase of $0.97 per month in their municipal sewer and water bill.
If you have any questions regarding the new sewer and water rates and fee structure, please contact the Public Works Department at 802-878-1344.